- Lopez-Sangil L, Brechet LM, George C, Baxendale C, Birkett A, Sayer EJ (in press) The Automated Root Exudate System (ARES): a method to apply solutes at regular intervals to soils in the field. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. doi: 10.1111/2041-210X.12764
- Sayer EJ, Oliver AE, Fridley JD, Askew A, Mills RTE, Grime JP (2017) Long-term drought affects soil microbial communities via plant functional traits. Ecology & Evolution 7: 855–862.
- Brechet LM, Le Dantec V, Ponton S, Sayer EJ, Bonal D. Freycon V, Hättenschwiler S, Roy J, & Epron D. (in press) Short- and long-term influence of litter quality and quantity on simulated heterotrophic soil respiration in a lowland tropical forest. Ecosystems. doi:10.1007/s10021-016-0104-x
- Sheldrake M, Rosenstock N, Revillini D, Olsson PA, Mangan S, Sayer EJ, Turner BL, Tanner EVJ (2017). Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal community composition is altered by long-term litter removal but not litter addition in a lowland tropical forest. New Phytologist. doi: 10.1111/nph.14384.
- Beiroz W, Slade E, Barlow J, Silveira J, Louzada J & Sayer EJ (2016). Dung beetle community dynamics in undisturbed tropical forests: implications for ecological evaluations of land-use change. Insect Conservation and Diversity. doi:10.1111/icad.12206.
- Chen Y, Sayer EJ, Li Z, Mo Q, Li Y, Ding Y, Wang J, Lu X, Tang J, Wang F (2016) Nutrient limitation of coarse woody debris decomposition in a secondary tropical forest: Contrasting effects of N and P addition. Functional Ecology, 30:295-304.
- Sayer EJ, Featherstone H, Gosling WD & the BES Roadies (2014). Sex & Bugs & Rock ‘n Roll – Creativity in Public Engagement. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 29:65-67.
- Xu S, Liu L & Sayer EJ. (2013) Variability of aboveground litter inputs alters soil physicochemical and biological processes: a meta-analysis of litterfall-manipulation experiments. Biogeosciences, 10: 5245-5272.
- Sayer EJ, Wagner M, Pywell RF, Oliver AE, Whiteley AS, James P & Heard MS. (2013) Grassland management effects on community composition and small-scale spatial distribution of plants, bacteria and fungi. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 61: 61-68.
- Ashford OS, Foster WA, Turner BL, Sayer EJ, Sutcliffe L & Tanner, EVJ. (2013) Litter manipulation and the soil arthropod community in a lowland tropical rainforest. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 62: 5-12.
- Meyer ST, Neubauer M, Sayer EJ, Leal IR, Tabarelli M & Wirth R. Leaf-cutting ants as ecosystem engineers: topsoil and litter perturbations around Atta cephalotes nests reduce nutrient availability. Entomological Ecology. doi: 10.1111/een.12043
- Sayer EJ, Tanner EVT, Wright SJ, Yavitt JB, Harms KE, Powers JS, Kaspari M, Garcia MN & Turner BL. (2012) Variable responses of lowland tropical forest nutrient status in response to fertilization and litter manipulation. Ecosystems, 15: 387-400.
- Sayer EJ, Heard MS, Grant HK, Marthews TR & Tanner EVJ (2011). Soil carbon release enhanced by increased tropical forest litterfall. Nature Climate Change, 1: 304-307.
- Wright SJ, Yavitt JB, Wurzburger N, Turner BL, Tanner EVJ, Sayer EJ, Santiago LS, Kaspari M, Hedin LO, Harms KE, Garcia MN & Corre MD (2011). Potassium, phosphorus or nitrogen limit root allocation, tree growth and litter production in a lowland tropical forest. Ecology, 92: 1616–1625.
- Sayer EJ & Tanner EVT (2010) Experimental investigation of the importance of litterfall in lowland tropical forest nutrient cycling. Journal of Ecology, 98: 1052-1062.
- Sayer EJ & Tanner EVJ (2010). A new approach to trenching experiments for measuring root-rhizosphere respiration in a lowland tropical forest. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 42:347-352.
- Sayer EJ, Sutcliffe L, Ross R. & Tanner EVJ (2010). Arthropod abundance and diversity in the forest floor of a lowland tropical forest: the role of habitat space vs. nutrient concentrations. Biotropica, 42:194-200.
- Sayer EJ, Powers JS & Tanner EVJ (2007). Increased litterfall in tropical forests boosts the transfer of soil CO2 to the atmosphere. PLoS One, 2 (12) e1299.
- Sayer EJ (2006). Using experimental litter manipulation to assess the roles of leaf litter in the functioning of forest ecosystems. Biological Reviews, 81: 1-31.
- Sayer EJ, Tanner EVJ & Cheesman AW (2006). Increased litterfall changes fine root distribution in a moist tropical forest. Plant and Soil, 281: 5-13.
- Sayer EJ, Tanner EVJ & Lacey AL (2006). Litter quantity affects early-stage decomposition and meso-arthropod abundance in a moist tropical forest. Forest Ecology & Management, 229: 285-293.
- Sayer EJ & Newbery DM (2003). The role of tree size in the leafing phenology of a seasonally dry tropical forest in Belize, Central America. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 19: 539-548.
- Sayer EJ & Banin LF (2016). Tree nutrient status and nutrient cycling in tropical 1 forest – lessons from fertilization experiments. In: Tropical Tree Physiology (eds. G Goldstein G and LS Santiago), Springer.
- Sayer, EJ (2014) The Forest for the Trees. Frontiers in Biogeography 6:159-161.
- The Functional Ecology Short Guide to Scientific Writing.
Articles for the Bulletin of the British Ecological Society
- How to win the BES poster prize. June 2011.
- A talk to remember (or how to give a better talk than your supervisor). June 2012.
- Interview with a taxonomist. December 2012.
- The Greasy Pole – on academic careers in Ecology. June 2013
- Sun, Fun and Ecology. August 2013
- The Long and Winding Road. December 2013
- Do you really think it’s a major paradigm shift? (a ‘rant’ about buzzwords). August 2014
- The Buxton Hub. December 2015
- Bringing the Beetles to Glastonbury. December 2015.